Custom Cable Overmolding
Custom cable overmoldings improve the quality, look and functionality of many electrical cables. From battery interconnects and SAE molded plugs to custom molded plugs and many other custom designed assemblies – Precision Cable Assemblies (PCA) is a premier custom cable overmolding supplier to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs).
Each configuration is designed, engineered, manufactured and tested by PCA to stringent OEM specifications. But it is common for our engineering team to come up with solutions that improve on these customer requirements.
Using the injection molding process, PCA can dramatically change the appearance and functionality of cable assemblies by:
- Designing cables to be impervious to fluids, dust and dirt with overmoldings
- Providing the ability to withstand shock, vibration and continual flexing without damage to termination points
- Incorporating company logos and trade names as part of the overmold to make the cable more aesthetic
- Quickly and cost effectively create samples to ensure that the overmold meets the application requirements prior to hard tooling
Precision Cable Assemblies’ custom cable overmolding, overmolded cable assemblies and custom cable assemblies, offer many advantages including durability, customization and styling.
With our on-site injection molding equipment and design capabilities, we are able to provide a variety of overmolded terminal configurations. PCA will customize existing molds, or design new ones, to meet any wire harness specification.
Common production requirements range from a single pin or receptacle to multi-cavity molds and include parts that have a variety of colors or that must be produced at different temperatures. Custom overmolded cable assemblies also provide environmentally resistant seals at connection points.
Original Equipment Manufacturer look to PCA for their custom cable overmolding projects. Contact Precision Cable Assemblies today for your application review.
Battery Cable Interconnect Overmolds
- Typical overmolding colors are red and black, other options available
- Double terminal options for retained nut and/or static post
- Double end, single end and center terminal options
- Configurations for single wire or multiple wire segments
- Standard and Custom retained boot options
SAE Cable Overmolded Plugs
- .156 and .180 Bullet and Receptacle Terminals
- Straight and 90° Configurations
- 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 8 pin standard SAE overmold configurations
- Molded Color Options
- Mating options to 2 and 3 pin configurations for overmolded diodes, TVS diodes, and resistors
- Multiple shutoffs for various wire exit configurations
- Brass, Tinned Brass and Silver/Nickel plating options
Overmold Customization and Styling
- Custom overmolded connectors can be designed to meet most applications, typical designs allow the following features to be specified:
- Material Compounds (PVC, Thermoplastic Elastomers (Santoprene, Uniprene, etc.)
- Material Durometer
- IP Rating against Dust/Dirt/Moisture
- Ergonomic and Style Factors
- Mating Force of terminals and molded connectors
- Keying Features to control Mating
- Temperature Requirements
- Terminals and Terminal Plating
- Amperage Rating and Allowable Gage Ranges of Wires in the Connector